Shop Main Street Online operates markets where you can sell your handmade goods, vintage items, and craft supplies directly to buyers around the world. We want to make sure that you and your buyers have a positive experience on Shop Main Street Online and Shop Main Street Online Studio. Please read on to find out more about your rights, as well as what is expected of you, as a seller.
1. What Can be Sold on Shop Main Street Marketplace
Shop Main Street Online is powerful and flexible to suit the needs of many types of products and services.
- Physical Products that are shipped to customers are the mainstay of e-commerce sites and marketplaces all over the world. Shop Main Street Online provides enhanced tools for sellers of products to list simple products, products with variations (such as size or color options) or variable products which can change price based on different product options.
- Virtual Products such as E-Books or Downloads.
- Quotes are available as an option for either physical products or services listed in Main Street Marketplace.
- Subscription Services can be sold in the Main Street Marketplace. When creating a subscription service simply select Virtual and Subscription in your “product” options. Perfect for regular services from lawn care to dental cleaning.
- Booking Products such as hotel room rentals, boat rentals or car rentals.
- Events & Tickets such as concerts, seminars, classes or theater can use the Events System
Shop Main Street Marketplace is primarily focused on providing tremendous value to American Small Businesses. It is our goal, and it should be your community’s goal to see your community thrive economically, and Shop Main Street Online is one place where all of your town’s businesses can list their products, services and be found by every citizen in your community, your state and in the US.
2. What Can’t be Sold on Shop Main Street Online
Even if they otherwise meet our handmade, vintage, or craft supply criteria, prohibited items, and items that violate our intellectual property policies are not allowed to be sold on Shop Main Street Online.
Reselling is not allowed on Shop Main Street Online. Reselling refers to listing an item as handmade when you were not involved in designing or making that item.
Keep in mind that members may flag listings that appear to violate our policies for Shop Main Street Online’s review.
Shop Main Street Online may remove any listings that violate our policies. Shop Main Street Online may suspend or terminate your account for any violations. You’ll still be on the hook to pay any outstanding fees on your Shop Main Street Online statement. You can find more information in our Fees & Payments Policy.
If you are raising money on behalf of a charity, you must obtain that charity’s consent. Charities and nonprofits are invited to receive 10% of our collected transaction fees from business and consumer referrals sent through their link.
3. Representing Yourself, Your Shop, and Your Listings Honestly
At Shop Main Street Online, we value transparency. Transparency means that you honestly and accurately represent yourself, your items, and your business.
By selling on Shop Main Street Online, you agree that you will:
- Provide honest, accurate information in your About section.
- Honor your Shop Policies.
- Accurately represent your items in listings and listing photos. If you are selling craft supplies, accurately disclose whether they are handmade, vintage, or commercial (not handmade or vintage), and whether they are organic or recycled.
- Respect the intellectual property of others. If you feel someone has violated your intellectual property rights, you can report it to Shop Main Street Online.
- Not engage in fee avoidance.
- Not create duplicate shops.
- Not coordinate pricing with other sellers.
4. Privacy and Communicating with Other Shop Main Street Online Members
You can use Shop Main Street Online Messaging to communicate directly with your buyers or other Shop Main Street Online members. Messaging is a great way for buyers to ask you questions about an item or an order.
Messaging may not be used for the following activities:
- Sending unsolicited advertising or promotions, requests for donations, or spam;
- Harassing or abusing another member or violating our Anti-Discrimination Policy;
- Contacting someone after they have explicitly asked you not to; or
- Interfering with a transaction or the business of another member.
Interference occurs when a member intentionally interferes with another member’s shop in order to drive away their business. Interference is strictly prohibited on Shop Main Street Online. Examples of interference include:
- Contacting another member via Shop Main Street Online Messaging to warn them away from a particular member, shop, or item;
- Posting in public areas to demonstrate or discuss a dispute with another member;
- Purchasing from a seller for the sole purpose of leaving a negative review;
- Maliciously clicking on a competitor’s Promoted Listings ads in order to drain that member’s advertising budget, also known as “click fraud.”
Any use of Shop Main Street Online Messaging to harass other members is strictly prohibited. Similarly, Messaging may not be used to support or glorify hatred or otherwise violate our Anti-Discrimination Policy.
Privacy and Protecting Personal Information
5. Creating and Uploading Content
As a member of Shop Main Street Online, you have the opportunity to create and upload a variety of content, like listings, Convos, text, photos, and videos. In order to keep our community safe and respectful, you agree that you will not upload content that is:
- Abusive, threatening, defamatory, harassing, or otherwise in violation of our Anti-Discrimination Policy;
- Obscene or vulgar;
- In violation of someone else’s privacy or intellectual property rights; or
- False, deceptive, or misleading.
6. Building a Positive Reputation Through our Reviews System
Reviews are a great way for you to build a reputation on Shop Main Street Online. Buyers can leave a review, including a one to five star rating and a photograph of their purchase, within 100 days after their item’s expected delivery date. The estimated delivery date is the purchase date + processing time + shipping time. Buyers can edit their review, including the photograph, any number of times during that 100 day period.
On the rare occasion you receive an unfavorable review, you can reach out to the buyer or, if the review is less than 3 stars, leave a response.
Reviews and your response to reviews may not:
- Contain private information;
- Contain obscene, racist, or harassing language or imagery;
- Violate our Anti-Discrimination Policy;
- Contain prohibited medical drug claims;
- Contain advertising or spam;
- Be about things outside the seller’s control, such as a shipping carrier, Shop Main Street Online or a third party; or
- Undermine the integrity of the Reviews system.
Extortion is not allowed on Shop Main Street Online. Any attempt to manipulate reviews through threats, intimidation, or bribery is considered extortion and is strictly prohibited on Shop Main Street Online. Extortion includes when a seller offers a buyer additional goods, services, or compensation in exchange for a positive review.
Shilling is strictly prohibited on Shop Main Street Online. Shilling is the fraudulent inflation of a shop’s reputation by use of an alternate account. The intent of shilling is to make a seller look more desirable by increasing the shop’s number of sales and overall review score. Not only does it violate our core value of transparency, but it is considered to be a deceptive business practice by the US Federal Trade Commission. Reviews must reflect the honest, unbiased opinions, findings, beliefs, or experience of the buyer.
7. Providing Great Customer Service
We expect our sellers to provide a high level of customer service. By selling on Shop Main Street Online, you agree to:
- Honor your shipping and processing times. Sellers are obligated to ship an item or otherwise complete a transaction with a buyer in a prompt manner, unless there is an exceptional circumstance. Please be aware that legal requirements for shipping times vary by country. These requirements are detailed in our Shipping Policy.
- Respond to Messages in a timely manner.
- Honor the commitments you make in your shop policies.
- Resolve disagreements or disputes directly with the buyer. In the unlikely event that you can’t reach a resolution, our Dispute Resolution team can help through our case system.
- If you are unable to complete an order, you must notify the buyer and cancel the order.
Shop Main Street Online will help you provide great customer service and maintain trust with your buyers through our Seller Service Level Standards (“SLS.”)
Shop Main Street Online also provides limited protection to sellers who meet the requirements of our Seller Protection Program.
8. Responding to Requests for Cancellations, Returns, and Exchanges
Please be aware that in addition to this policy, each State has its own laws surrounding shipping, cancellations, returns, and exchanges. Please familiarize yourself with the laws of your own State and those of your buyers’ States.
If you are unable to complete a transaction, you must notify the buyer via Shop Main Street Online Messaging and cancel the transaction. If the buyer already submitted payment, you must issue a full refund. You are encouraged to keep proof of any refunds in the event a dispute arises.
You may cancel a transaction under the following circumstances:
- The buyer did not pay. (The seller may flag a buyer for a payment not received, chargeback, or canceled payment.)
- Both you and the buyer agree to cancel the transaction prior to shipment, and you have issued the buyer a full refund.
- You have decided to refuse service to the buyer and are complying with our Anti-Discrimination Policy. If the buyer has already paid, you must also issue a full refund, including shipping.
- The buyer did not receive the item(s) ordered, even though you provided proof of shipping, and you have issued a refund for the item. (Refunding shipping is optional, unless the buyer paid with Shop Main Street Online Payments, in which case you’ll need to refund in full.)
- Both you and the buyer agreed that the buyer could return the item for a refund, you have received the returned item and issued a refund to the buyer for the item. (Refunding shipping is optional, unless the buyer paid with Shop Main Street Online Payments, in which case you will need to refund in full.)
Shop Main Street Online’s Case System
We ask buyers to contact a seller directly and attempt to resolve any outstanding issues before opening a case on Shop Main Street Online. For this reason, it is important that you fill out your shop policies and regularly respond to Messages from your buyers.
Buyers may file a case for a non-delivery or a not-as-described item. You must respond to any open cases within seven days or the time frame noted by Shop Main Street Online in the case. Shop Main Street Online reserves the right to escalate a case early for circumstances such as seller inactivity, harassment, refusal of service, case manipulation, and undermining the integrity of the case system.
By using Shop Main Street Online’s Case System, you understand that under Shop Main Street Online’s dispute resolution procedures, Shop Main Street Online may use your personal information for the purpose of resolving disputes with other members. Cases can be filed in the following circumstances:
A non-delivery occurs when a buyer places an order and submits payment, but does not receive the item. The following are examples of non-delivery cases:
- An item was never sent.
- An item was not sent to the address provided on Shop Main Street Online.
- There is no proof that the item was shipped to the buyer’s address.
Not as Described
An item is not as described if it is materially different from your listing description or your photos. The following are examples of not as described cases:
- The item received is a different color, model, version, or size than is shown in the photo or described in the listing.
- The item has a different design or material.
- The item was advertised as authentic but is not authentic.
- You failed to disclose the fact that an item is damaged or is missing parts.
- A buyer purchased three items but only received two.
- The condition of the item is misrepresented. For example, the description at the time of purchase said the item was “new” and the item is used.
Not as Described cases can also be filed for late delivery. In order to qualify as late delivery, the buyer must provide proof that all of these conditions have been met:
- The item(s) were ordered for a specific date or event.
- The item(s) are rendered useless after that date.
- The seller did not ship the item(s) according to their processing time or the date agreed upon in Messaging.
If Shop Main Street Online determines that an item is not as described, you will be required to refund the original shipping and return shipping, in addition to the cost of the item.
Some disputes don’t qualify for Shop Main Street Online’s case system. These include:
- Items that have been purchased in person.
- Intangible items, services, or prohibited items.
- Transactions where payment is not made through Shop Main Street Online Payments or PayPal.
- Items that are returned without a return agreement.
- Items that have been altered, used, worn, or washed after receiving them.
- Physical or tangible items that are not available for return because they have been destroyed or discarded by the buyer.
- Items that are received after the agreed-upon delivery date due to shipping delays.
- Cost of shipping disputes.
When a dispute is ineligible for our case system, we encourage both parties to work together to come to an amicable solution.